Where a college or department wishes to invite a non UK/ Irish national as a visitor, administrators within the department/ faculty or colleges should be included in the discussion from the start. This is to ensure a smooth process for all parties involved and considerably reduces the changes of a visa refusal.
Please ensure that the Staff Immigration (SIT)'s invitation letter templates are used to avoid that the correct letter of invitation is issued and the activities the visitor will be doing is compliant with the visa route they are entering under.
SIT recommends that departments and colleges asks prospective visitors to fill in a 'Visitor form'. These may include the following points:
- Personal information about the visitor
- Information about the visitors current status (for example: PhD student/journalist/researcher/government official/eminent doctor etc).
- The main purpose of their visit to University of Oxford
- An outline of the activities they will be undertaking during their visit
- Confirmation whether they will be doing any collaborative research with their host department or college
- The duration of their visit
- Confirmation whether the visitor is bringing any family members
- Information how they intend to support themselves financially while in the UK
Departments and colleges must ensure they have a robust process in place to avoid that individual within the department or college invite non UK/Irish nationals without having run this by the HR office first.
Please note that where a University department or college is inviting a non UK/ Irish national, they are facilitating their entry to the UK
The host department/ faculty or college must be satisfied that the visitor is compliant with the Home Office's visitor visa regulations.