The University recommends the following visa reimbursement policy:
- Departments are always expected to pay for the first visa of a new employee if either a Skilled Worker or a Global Talent visa and any premium appointment fees if agreed necessary by the department. Please be aware that visa costs for people already in the UK are a taxable benefit and should be charged as such.
- Departments may decide to pay Skilled Worker visa extensions. Please note the tax point above.
- Departments may decide to pay the premium appointment fee for visa extensions in order to ensure that the employee’s work related travel plans are not interrupted.
- Departments are normally expected to pay a new employees 'hotel quarantine' fees if this is required because they are coming from or travelling through a 'red list country'.
- Visa and other fees should be paid for out of grant funding where allowed.
It is recommended that departments should not pay for Tier 5 visas, Indefinite Leave to Remain visas, any Immigration Health Surcharges, applications for British citizenship and any dependant related visa costs.
Please note that reimbursement of all visa fees are regarded as a taxable benefit unless it is a new employee applying for their visa outside the UK.
For more information on the reimbursement of visa fees, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org