Police registration

Visa holders and dependants (aged 16 or over) from some countries are required to register with the police and hold a Police Registration Certificate (PRC) if they are coming to the UK for longer than six months. Those required to register must report within 7 days after arriving in the UK, and then report certain changes to the police as they arise, keeping their PRC up to date.

It should be clearly stated in the Home Office letter confirming the visa application has been granted if a visa holder is required to register with the police.

If a visa holder is required to register with the police as part of their visa conditions but does not, they would be committing an offence, may have a fine imposed, and will encounter difficulties when they apply for a new visa.

The police registration requirement does not apply where a visa has been issued to come to the UK for less than six months. These requirements also do not apply to those who have been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), as they are no longer subject to immigration restrictions.

Expand All

The Home Office lists the countries whose nationals are required to register with the police.

Dual nationals whose second country of nationality is not on the Home Office list are not required to register with the police.

The Home Office provides details of how to register with the police, including the fee (currently £34) and the documents and information required.

Those living in the Oxfordshire area should see the Thames Valley Police website for details on how to book an appointment. The closest police station to the central University sites is located at St Aldate’s, Oxford, OX1 1SZ.

Those living outside the Thames Valley area should see Home Office guidance on where to register to find which police authority they need register with.

Those required to register with the police must do so within 7 days of arriving in the UK, or within 7 days of receiving their new visa if they applied in the UK. Changes must also be reported within 7 days.

If a visa holder fails to register with the police, or report changes, within 7 days, they should go to the police station as soon as possible and explain the circumstances. If the delay in reporting was due to illness they should take a letter from their doctor, if possible.

If a visa holder loses their PRC they will need to report the loss to the police and apply for a new certificate, paying the fee again.

When a visa holder registers with the police they must provide the information listed below, and must then report any changes in these details when they occur

  • Name and gender
  • Date and country of birth
  • Marital status
  • Nationality
  • Passport details
  • Visa/Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) details
  • Last place of residence outside the UK
  • Date, place and mode of arrival in the UK
  • UK address and contact details
  • Details and place of employment/study/research visit

Contact us

Medical Sciences / Humanities / GLAM / UAS / Continuing Education / Colleges

Angelina Pelova Tel: 01865 289904 Email: angelina.pelova@admin.ox.ac.uk 


MPLS / Social Sciences

Lyn Davis Email: lyn.davis@admin.ox.ac.uk

Richard Birt Email: richard.birt@admin.ox.ac.uk




Popular links