Frontier Worker permit applications can now be made

European citizens who live outside the UK but have been travelling back and forth to work here before 31 December 2020 may be 'Frontier Workers'. They can now apply for a 'Frontier Worker permit' to evidence their right to continue working in this way.

Frontier Workers can still travel to the UK as normal until 30 June 2021 but will need to have applied for an been granted a 'Frontier Worker permit' to enter the UK to work from 1 July 2021 onwards. A digital permit will be issued rather than a physical document. It will be valid for 5 years, or 2 years for retained rights if they are currently not working, and can be extended as long as work in the UK is continuing.

There is no application fee and the application can be made from inside or outside the UK, but there are specific requirements including that they must not spend more than 180 days in the UK in any 12 month period, and the work they carry out in the UK must be 'genuine and effective'. Please see our guidance for Frontier Workers, which links to the relevant Home Office guidance, for more information.

The Staff Immigraion Team can help with queries about the requirements and application process; please contact either or

More news